Gettin’ your workout on? It’s January, and the gyms are packed. How’s your jam list? Even though it’s all about that bass when you pedal, when you pedal, many pump-it-up songs get me lagging because the lyrics lack. I find that encouraging words and a switchup in the sound work like a shot of ginseng.
Phillipians 4:8 says 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
If your workout needs a pickup, try a few from my quirky playlist:
- Mandisa Remixed: Get Movin’ album — the entire album. It’s Mandisa’s totally encouraging music sped up and bouncin’. I replay “Shackles” at least 3 times every time.
- Johnny Cash: “Get Rhythm.” Another one I replay at least once, and then sing all day.
- Mercy Me: “Shake,” “Move,” “The Generous Mr. Lovewell.” Geez, pretty soon I’ll have a whole Mercy Me workout mix. These guys make me smile. At the gym. Red, sweaty and smilin’. Yes, people stare.
- Stray Cats: “Rock this Town,” “Rockinest Cat in the Galaxy,” and “Built for Speed.” Vroom!
- Goliath Down: “Beanbag Christian” and “Whitewater.” Yep, it’s my own band so I should be more modest, but my legs get a second wind every time Justin goes into a guitar solo.
- Gateway Worship: “Be Lifted Higher,” “Not Ashamed” and “As We Pray.” Who knew worship songs were good for running? Besides that guy who ran laps during worship at my old church…I miss that guy.